[Python-Dev] PEP 463: Exception-catching expressions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 18:18:54 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> Be sure to capture in the PEP (within reason) a summary of concerns
> and rebuttals/acquiescence.  Eli's, Brett's, and Antoine's concerns
> likely reflect what others are thinking as well.  The PEP and its
> result will be better for recording such matters.  In fact, that's a
> key goal of PEPs. :)

I now have a paragraph summarizing the "narrowing of scope" benefit,
though not worded as a rebuttal of a concern. Eli's concern is mainly
that this can be abused, which everything can; should I include
something about that? Brett's issue is with the colon. I'll write up a
paragraph or two of reasoning as to why that was selected, possibly
tomorrow, but the main reason is simply that nobody came up with a
compelling argument in favour of any other. Hardly the most epic tale
:)

ChrisA