[Python-Dev] WebM MIME type in mimetypes module

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Dec 3 05:30:36 CET 2014

On 02Dec2014 21:16, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>On 12/2/2014 7:07 PM, Chris Rebert wrote:
>>To summarize the issue, it proposes adding an entry for WebM (
>>http://www.webmproject.org/docs/container/#naming ) to the mimetypes
>>standard library module's file-extension to MIME-type database.
>>(Specifically: .webm => video/webm ) [...]
>
>If it has remained a defacto standard for the two years since your
>made that list, that would be a point in favor of recognizing it.
>Have .webm files become more common in actual use?

Subjectively I've seen a few more about that I think I used to.
And there are definitely some .webm files on some websites I support.

Can't say if they're more common in terms of hard data though. But if most
browsers expect them, arguably we should recognise their existence.

Usual disclaimer: I am not a python-dev.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from;
furthermore, if you do not like any of them, you can just wait for next
year's model.   - Andrew S. Tanenbaum