[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Pierre-Yves David pierre-yves.david at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 1 03:12:18 CET 2014

On 11/30/2014 09:09 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> Even converting between two FLOSS tools is an amazing amount of work.  Look at
>> >what Eric Raymond did with reposurgeon to convert from Bazaar to git.
> I fail to see how this is a reasonable argument to make at all since, as you
> mentioned, converting between two FLOSS tools can be an amazing amount of work.
> Realistically the amount of work is going to be predicated on whether or not
> there is a tool that already handles the conversion for you. Assuming of course
> that the data is available to you at all.

The statement that switch a whole infra from one tool to another is
"cheap" and predictable sounds extremely naive to me.

> As a particularly relevant example, switching from Mercurial to Git is as easy
> as installing hg-git, creating a bookmark for master that tracks default, and
> then pushing to a git repository.

Migrating the DVCS content is usually easy. The hard part is then to
find all the script, tools, doc that rely on the previous tools to
upgrade them to the new one, sometimes trying to find feature parity.
This is rarely cheap and never "predictable"

--
Pierre-Yves David