[Python-Dev] surrogatepass - she's a witch, burn 'er! [was: Cleaning up ...]

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Aug 30 01:37:18 CEST 2014

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> we needed
> a way to make sure that Python 3 also optionally supports working
> with lone surrogates in such UTF-8 streams (nowadays called CESU-8:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CESU-8).

I don't think CESU-8 is the same thing. According to the wiki
page, CESU-8 *requires* all code points above 0xffff to be split
into surrogate pairs before encoding. It also doesn't say that
lone surrogates are valid -- it doesn't mention lone surrogates
at all, only pairs. Neither does the linked technical report.

The technical report also says that CESU-8 forbids any UTF-8
sequences of more than three bytes, so it's definitely not
"UTF-8 plus lone surrogates".

--
Greg