[Python-Dev] sum(...) limitation

Ben Hoyt benhoyt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 14:26:47 CEST 2014

It seems to me this is something of a pointless discussion -- I highly
doubt the current situation is going to change, and it works very well.
Even if not perfect, sum() is for numbers, sep.join() for strings. However,
I will add one comment:

I'm overall -1 on trying to change the current situation (except for
> adding a join() builtin or str.join class method).

Did you know there actually is a str.join "class method"? I've never
actually seen it used this way, but for people who just can't stand
sep.join(seq), you can always call str.join(sep, seq) -- works in Python 2
and 3:

>>> str.join('.', ['abc', 'def', 'ghi'])
'abc.def.ghi'

This works as a side effect of the fact that you can call methods as
cls.method(instance, args).

-Ben