[Python-Dev] pep8 reasoning

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Apr 29 03:30:36 CEST 2014

 > On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

 > not really -- it allows it:
 >
 > # Aligned with opening delimiter.
 > foo = long_function_name(var_one, var_two,
 >                          var_three, var_four)
 >
 > but all the examples have more than one variable per line...my point is
 > that I think that should be discouraged.
 >
 > i.e. I think the above should be:
 >
 > # Aligned with opening delimiter.
 > foo = long_function_name(var_one,
 >                          var_two,
 >                          var_three,
 >                          var_four)

I don't have a problem with discouraging it, but it should not be
flagged in pep8 (OK in pep8 --wink-wink-nudge-nudge-say-no-more-eh,
though!)

I usually do use the style you prefer, especially when the arguments
want to be commented, but in many cases the arguments are semantically
tuples.  Eg,

    rect1 = paint_rectangle(point[1], point[0],        # top, left
                            textheight + 2 * padding, textwidth + 2 * padding,
                            chartreuse)