[Python-Dev] this is what happens if you freeze all the modules required for startup

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 15:21:02 CEST 2014

On 14 Apr 2014 18:37, "Glenn Linderman" <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:

> On 4/14/2014 2:51 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>
>> Freezing everything except encodings.__init__, os, and _sysconfigdata,
>

> I suppose these are omitted because they can vary in different
environments?

> But isn't Python built for a particular environment... seems like os
could be included?

> Seems like it would be helpful to have the utf8 encoding preloaded both
to encourage people to use it rather than something else for the load-time
performance gain (although likely minuscule for one encoding), and because
they might as well, since they are spending the memory on it anyway!  :)

Via some moderately arcane hackery, UTF-8 support is already built in to
the Py3 interpreter :)

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com