[Python-Dev] Appeal for reviews

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:18:13 CEST 2014

On 14 Apr 2014 01:56, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> martin at v.loewis.de writes:
>
>  > For gaining commit access, it's really more important that the patch
>  > is factually finished, than that it's author believes it to. If people
>  > get it right the first time often enough, they get commit access.
>
> Yes, that's what I had in mind, but I guess I explained it poorly.

We should capture this discussion clearly in the dev guide. Even if we
switch to a core reviewer model at some point (as I propose in PEP 462),
the criteria for core reviewer status will match those for core commiter
status.

There are actually a few things I'm personally looking for:

* good judgement on when a patch is "finished enough" to merge
* good judgement on whether a change is a new feature or a bug fix
* good judgement whether a new feature is worth the additional cognitive
burden
* good ability to assess backwards compatibility risks
* sufficient humility to answer "I don't know" to the above questions when
appropriate and ask the relevant domain experts, their sponsoring mentor,
the core-mentorship list or python-dev at large for advice on what to do

It's that last one which is really most critical - even Guido asks for
additional input when he's uncertain about something, and that's a key part
of why I trust his decisions on those rare occasions when he finds it
necessary to exercise BDFL fiat (although his long history of demonstrating
excellent language design instincts certainly helps!)

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com