[Python-Dev] Appeal for reviews

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Sun Apr 13 21:31:46 CEST 2014

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:
> I apologize for the tone.  I need to go *right* now, and can't fix
> that.  Really, I'm sympathetic and my goal is not just to defend
> python-dev, but to help you get the reviews your work deserves.
> Please read with that in mind.

Will do - but why the rush? Be assured that I would have read the mail
even if it came a day later :-).

> That's an impressive list, but it doesn't tell us what work you've
> done.  There's a checklist in the devguide which should be more
> accurate (sorry about lack of URL), but I imagine it includes the
> following:

>  * Has the issue been classified as bug or feature?
>  * If bug, is it confirmed?
>  * If complex, does it need a PEP?  (probably irrelevant to your patches)
>  * Is there agreement about requirements in the issue comments?
>  * Is there a patch?
>  * Does the design need review?
>  * Has relevant documentation been added/updated (including
>    docstrings, manuals, Whats New at least)?
>  * Are there tests that the requirements are satisfied?
>  * Are there tests for any regressions that arose in the process of
>    developing the patch?
>  * Have you signed a CA?  (irrelevant to you IIRC)
>  * Is the issue status updated to reflect the work done so far?

I've described the status of each bug in more detail in my reply
Terry, but generally all the issues contain a testcase (i.e., so I
consider them confirmed), do not require a PEP, contain a patch that
needs review and include documentation updates. I have signed the CA,
and I have updated the issue status as much as I can (I don't seem to
have privileges to add/change keywords).

I have a second list with issues that I worked on that are more nasty,
but I deliberately did not include them in the list.

> It would help in getting reviewer attention to your work if in
> addition to a list of patches you provided an indication of (1) how
> complete the patch is and (2) what review is requested.  That in
> itself is a strong indicator of quality.

All the patches are complete in the sense that I think they can be
committed and would improve Python. Of course, further improvements are
always possible. I'm not sure about (2) -- what different kind of
reviews are there?

> There must be stuff of interest to you happening on twitter, etc.,
> during PyCon.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at (maybe because I don't use
twitter).

Best,
-Nikolaus