[Python-Dev] 2.7 Windows installers (Was: death to 2.7; long live 2.7)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 13 20:28:21 CEST 2014

Am 10.04.14 03:22, schrieb Benjamin Peterson:
> We'll keep doing what we're currently doing for another year, making
> normal bug fix releases with installers. After that, we _won't_ close
> 2.7 to normal bug fixes as is currently implied by the release schedule.

After thinking about this plan, I believe it is best if I step down as
the Windows installers engineer right away. To my knowledge, no specific
date for the next 2.7 bugfix release has been set, so this should allow
to find a replacement before the next release.

I would have volunteered to do two more releases if these had been the
definite last ones, as it would have been impractical to replace me for
just two releases. If this is going until 2020, anybody up to the task
should start working on it now.

I'll be willing to help anybody taking over with advise, but I'll
consider the 2.7 branch otherwise dead (i.e. not worthwhile
contributing to).

I'll be happy to continue making installers for the 3.x branches,
but if anybody considering to volunteer would do so on the condition
that he/she gets it "all", I'd be happy to hand these other branches
over as well.

Of course, anybody taking over that role would be free to either keep
or replace the current technology (e.g. switching to InstallShield
or WiX or whatever).

The one option I'd rather not support is an "open" committee of
Windows installer engineers. Anybody taking this role will have a
copy of the PSF code signing key, so I'd like to keep this list
rather small, and the people attached to the task.

Regards,
Martin