[Python-Dev] PEP 465: A dedicated infix operator for matrix multiplication

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 13:31:06 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-09 12:12, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 8 April 2014 18:32, cjw <fn681 at ncf.ca> wrote:
>> Guido,
>>
>> I am sorry to read this.
>>
>> I shall be responding more completely in a day or two.
>>
>> In my view, @ and @@ are completely redundant.  Both operations are  already
>> provided, * and **, in numpy.matrix.
>>
>> PEP 465 provides no clear indication as to how the standard operators fail.
>
> Note that numpy.matrix is specifically discussed in
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0465/#rejected-alternatives-to-adding-a-new-operator
> (it's the first rejected alternative listed).

To be fair to Colin, the PEP asserts that the community at large would prefer an
operator to the status quo but only alludes to the reason why it does so rather
than explaining it fully. Personally, I think that's a reasonable allocation of
Nathaniel's time, but then I happen to have agreed with the PEP's position
before it was written, and I personally witnessed all of the history myself so I
don't need it repeated back to me.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."