[Python-Dev] Add a "transformdict" to collections

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 11 13:08:25 CEST 2013

> Seriously, I'm curious: what needs to mature, according to you?

In my mind, its availability on PyPI along with demonstrated use in
the wild (plus corresponding votes to demonstrate that people use/like
it) would help.  That you can find several implementations at this
doesn't mean it's necessarily worth adding to the std lib. Once in, it
is very difficult to evict something that is later deemed not to have
belonged in the std lib, so I think some extra scrutiny is worthwhile.

Is there some obvious advantage to having a single API for this
available to all Python applications? Are the semantics well-defined
(do all the implementations you cited offer basically the same
semantics)? The discussion so far here suggest that the best semantics
might not be completely settled.

(I still don't care for the name. "Transform" != "case folding" in my
mind. A quick scan of your links suggests most people think something
like "cidict" or "CaseInsensitiveDict" would be more descriptive.)

Skip