[Python-Dev] Add a "transformdict" to collections

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Wed Sep 11 03:15:33 CEST 2013

On 9/10/2013 2:46 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>> >Well, I'd expect it to simply be there. I had not thought of
>> >other usecases for the transformdict itself -
> Well, it is not here for dict, set, etc.

But they don't change the keys (although numbers have different
representations on occasion).

One use of transformdict might be to allow use of non-hashable items as
keys, by extracting an actual key from the internals of the non-hashable
item. The key may be sufficiently unique to enable use of the dict
structure for lookups, but it would certainly be handy to obtain the
actual item again. Without a canonical lookup feature, one would be
forced to also include the key as part of the value, or some such hack.

I also thought João's example was a very practical reason to have the
canonical lookup feature, by some name or another.