[Python-Dev] unicodedata module is out of date

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 9 13:41:21 CEST 2013

Am 06.09.13 20:24, schrieb Terry Reedy:
>> In Python 2.7.5 it is set to '5.2.0' so it looks as though this version
>> is no longer being updated.
>
> In general, new features do not go into bugfix releases (x.y.z, where z
>>= 1). Updating the unidate_version add new features to the unicodedata
> module.

One might argue that an update of the UCD data is within the scope of
2.7, since it's just data, not code that is being changed.

I'd argue against that, since this specific change has a chance of
breaking existing tests that people might have.

Of course, it is up the the release manager of 2.7 to decide on that
if such a change would be proposed.

Regards,
Martin