[Python-Dev] PEP 450 adding statistics module

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Sep 8 19:32:34 CEST 2013

Going over the open issues:

- Parallel arrays or arrays of tuples? I think the API should require
an array of tuples. It is trivial to zip up parallel arrays to the
required format, while if you have an array of tuples, extracting the
parallel arrays is slightly more cumbersome. Also for manipulating of
the raw data, an array of tuples makes it easier to do insertions or
removals without worrying about losing the correspondence between the
arrays.

- Requiring concrete sequences as opposed to iterators sounds fine.
I'm guessing that good algorithms for doing certain calculations in a
single pass, assuming the full input doesn't fit in memory, are quite
different from good algorithms for doing the same calculations without
having that worry. (Just like you can't expect to use the same code to
do a good job of sorting in-memory and on-disk data.)

- Postponing some algorithms to Python 3.5  sounds fine.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> On 09/08/2013 06:52 AM, Ryan wrote:
>>

>> ...what's a PEP dictator?
>

> The person tasked with deciding on the fate of an individual PEP.
>
> --
> ~Ethan~

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)