[Python-Dev] DTRACE support

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Sep 6 17:18:49 CEST 2013

> I have spend a very long time on a patch for Dtrace support in most
> platforms with dtrace available. Currently working under Solaris and
> derivatives, and MacOS X. Last time I checked, it would crash FreeBSD
> because bugs in the dtrace port, but that was a long time ago.

I looked at this several years ago. As I recall, the problem at the time was
that the Apple and Sun DTrace implementations were incompatible, or that
the probes they had inserted into their own /usr/bin/python instances were
incompatible. (Don't remember which off the top of my head.) Of course, the
DTrace folks at Apple and Sun weren't really interested in holding hands...

Skip