[Python-Dev] windows file closing race condition?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 16:01:44 CEST 2013

On 6 September 2013 14:16, Richard Oudkerk <shibturn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/09/2013 1:55pm, Paul Moore wrote:
>>
>> ... If you rename the
>>
>> file to anywhere but the same directory, you potentially have
>> permission issues.
>

> Using the root directory avoids permission issues -- users always have write
> access there.

I don't believe that's true. IIRC, some Windows versions protect the
root of the system drive from non-admin users. And I *know* I have had
problems with NTFS-formatted removable drives plugged into systems
they were not originally formatted on, where the owner of the drive no
longer exists. They are rare corner cases, for sure, but they do
happen and frankly are probably harder to explain when they come up
than saying "your virus checker is interfering". Everyone expects
their virus checker to screw up their system (cure worse than disease
syndrome :-))

Paul