[Python-Dev] PEP 455: TransformDict

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Oct 30 20:30:42 CET 2013

Hi Raymond,

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 01:12:03 -0600
Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2013, at 1:16 PM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > so what is the
> > status of the PEP 455 (TransformDict)?
>

> I'm giving a thorough evaluation of the proposal
> and am devoting chunks of time each weekend
> to reviewing the email threads, the links provided
> in the PEPs, looking at how well the TD fits in existing code.

Thanks for the thorough status report.

> * There are interesting differences between the proposed TD
> and the CaseInsensitiveDict implemented in Kenneth Reitz's
> HTTP requests library.  The latter keeps the last key added
> rather than the first.   It also has a cleaner implementation
> and the API is a bit nicer (no getitem() method).

First-vs-last has already been discussed in the previous thread. My
initial hunch was to keep the last key, but other people made the point
that first was both more compliant (with current dict behaviour) and
more useful (since you can override it by deleting and then reinserting
the entry).

Regards

Antoine.