[Python-Dev] Block module import during Python finalization?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 19:45:33 CET 2013

Hi,

While working on a fix, I got an assertion error during Python
finalization because Python tried to import the "io" module whereas
the module was just unloaded. Python tried to import the io module to
display a warning and display the Python line where the warning was
emitted. See the following issue for detail:
http://bugs.python.org/issue19421

I propose to block importing new modules (or import again unloaded
modules) during Python finalization to avoid such tricky bugs.

What do you think?

Does anyone rely on the ability of importing Python modules at exit? :-)

At least, the whole test suite pass with my import_finalization.patch
which block import during Python finalization.

Victor