[Python-Dev] On the dangers of giving developers the best resources

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 00:21:06 CEST 2013

On 9 October 2013 09:10, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> It's not actually so much the extreme waste that I'm looking to expose,
> but rather the day-to-day annoyances of stuff you use regularly that slows
> you down by just a second (or ten), or things that gets slower at each
> release.

Veering off-topic (but still related) ...

There's a reason I turn off all animations when I set up a machine for
someone ... I've found turning off the animations is the quickest way to
make a machine feel faster - even better than adding an SSD. The number of
times I've fixed a "slow" machine by this one change ...

I think everyone even remotely involved in the existence of animations in
the OS should be forced to have the slowest animations turned on at all
times, no matter the platform (OSX, Windows, Linux ...). Which comes back
to the idea of developers having slow machines so they feel the pain ...

Tim Delaney