[Python-Dev] py.ini documentation improvement

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Nov 28 23:25:17 CET 2013

On 11/28/2013 4:04 PM, Tim Delaney wrote:
> I was just getting Jython working with py.exe, and I think the
> documentation can be made a bit more friendly. In particular think we
> can make it easier for people to determine the correct folder by
> changing the line in 3.4.4.1 Customization via INI files:
>
> Two .ini files will be searched by the launcher - py.ini in the current
> user’s "application data" directory (i.e. the directory returned by
> calling the Windows function SHGetFolderPath with CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA)
> and py.ini in the same directory as the launcher.

> Two .ini files will be searched by the launcher - py.ini in the current
> user’s "application data" directory (i.e. the directory returned by
> executing `echo %LOCALAPPDATA%` in a command window) and py.ini in the
> same directory as the launcher.

'Two .ini files will be searched by the launcher' sort of implies to me
that the files exist. On my Win7 machine, echo %LOCALAPPDATA% returns
C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Local. If I go to Users/Terry with Explorer,
there is no AppData. (Same with admin user.) C:\Windows contains
py(w).exe, but no py.ini. Clearer would be

The launcher will search for py.ini in two possible places -- first in
the same directory as the launcher; second in the current user's
"application data" directory <whatever is said about how to find it>.

I am pretty sure that order is important and that my version, not the
current version, is correct.

--
Terry Jan Reedy