[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 21 23:13:28 CET 2013

Quoting Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>:

> Concerning the version number, I thought the intention of
> PEP 404 was simply to say that the PSF would not be releasing
> anything called Python 2.8, not to forbid anyone *else*
> from doing so.
>
> Or am I wrong about that?

That's correct.

> If I'm right, there's nothing stopping Christian from
> releasing Stackless Python 2.8 with whatever improvements
> he wants.

"Nothing stopping" is exactly right. People still don't need
to like it. Barry wishes there was something stopping him,
and be it a lawyer invoking trademark law.

If "2.8" was just a version number of Stackless Python not
related to Python version (like PyPy's version number currently
being 2.2), protest would be much less. People fear that
releasing Stackless Python 2.8 would create the impression that
even CPython has continued development, and it might require
significant PR efforts to educate people.

Regards,
Martin