[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 12:39:21 CET 2013

On 21 November 2013 11:15,  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Whether this would be a good idea or not, I don't know. It would create
> separate ecosystems for different releases of Python 2.7 for different
> CRTs. Package authors would have to create multiple binary releases of
> the same modules for Windows, and upload them to PyPI. pip would have
> to learn to download the right one, depending on what build of Python
> 2.7 is running.

It would also mean that the wheel compatibility tags for Windows would
no longer work, as currently the code makes no provision for multiple
ABIs on Windows within a single Python minor version. So it would not
be possible to reliably release binary wheels which could be verified
as compatible with the Python version you're installing them to (a key
benefit of wheels over earlier binary formats, which did not consider
ABI compatibility at all).

Paul