[Python-Dev] PEP 384 (stable api) question

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Thu Nov 7 13:44:49 CET 2013

PEP 384 describes the stable Python api, available when
Py_LIMITED_API is defined.

However, there are some (small) changes in the function prototypes
available, one example is (in Python 3.3):
  PyObject* PyObject_CallFunction(PyObject *callable, char *format, ...)

which changed in Python 3.4 to 'const char *format' for the
third argument.

I know that this is only a subtle difference, but in my case it gives
compiler warnings when I compile my stuff (my stuff is a little bit
special, I have to admit, but anyway).

I thought that the stable API would keep exactly the same across
releases - is this expectation wrong or is this a bug?

Thanks,
Thomas