[Python-Dev] PEP 409 and the stdlib

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon May 20 15:47:42 CEST 2013

On 20 May 2013 23:38, "Ethan Furman" <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> As a quick reminder, PEP 409 allows this:
>
>     try:
>     except AnError:
>         raise SomeOtherError from None
>
> so that if the exception is not caught, we get the traditional single
exception traceback, instead of the new:

>     During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred
>

> My question:
>
> How do we go about putting this in the stdlib?  Is this one of the
occasions where we don't do it unless we're modifying a module already for
some other reason?

> For that matter, should we?
>
> Pros:  Makes tracebacks much less confusing, especially coming from a
library

> Cons:  Could hide bugs unrelated to what is being caught and transformed

Be pretty conservative with this one - we should only use it when we're
confident we know the original exception is almost certain to be irrelevant
noise.

Ensuring the traceback module makes it easy to display both would also be a
good preliminary step.

Cheers,
Nick.

http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com