[Python-Dev] How to debug python crashes

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue May 14 20:52:11 CEST 2013

Hi,

I don't know if it can help, but if you really don't know where your
programcrash/hang occurs, you can use the faulthandler module:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/faulthandler

It can be used to display te backtrace of all threads on an event like a
signal or a timeout.

It works with Python, but you will need a compiler (like Visual Studio) to
install it on Windows. I failed to build a MSI installer on Windows 64-bit
with Visual Studio 2010 express. If someone can help me to build MSI,
please contact me.

The documentation:

http://docs.python.org/dev/library/faulthandler.html

Victor