[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Mar 21 08:03:34 CET 2013

On 3/21/2013 12:36 AM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> On 3/20/2013 5:15 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> Broken (and quirky): it has an absurdly limited output buffer (under a
>> thousand lines)
>
> People keep claiming that Windows CMD has a limited output buffer. It is
> configurable, at least to 9999 lines, which is where I have mine set.
> That is far too much to actually scroll back through for most practical
> purposes, although sometimes I do :)

See my response to the same point by Neil Hodgson, where I noticed that
setting to 9999 lines somewhat disables easy scrolling. (I checked and
it was 9999 also on XP.)

> I'm not trying to claim that Windows CMD is wonderful, perfect, or has
> large numbers of redeeming values, but let's keep to the facts.

Yes, lets do. I tried to. A person who installs Python on Windows and
runs Python (command prompt) instead of IDLE is confronted with a 300
line default. Someone not familiar with Command Prompt will not know
that the limit can be increased. I use CP so seldom, until recently,
that I had forgotten how to do so. I fiddled with the history buffer
setting on the first page. That did not work so I gave up.

--
Terry Jan Reedy