[Python-Dev] built-in Python test runner (was: Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 14:50:34 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps we can solve this outside distutils-sig so that distutils-sig
> can concentrate on the harder problems?

It's a distutils-sig problem because you need a way to publish any new
testing related metadata, and because we're planning to evolve a hooks
system to cover the different steps in the build process in a
decoupled manner. "Run the tests" will be just another hook, but we're
not up to dealing with that yet (the only hook that will be in
metadata 2.0 is the post-install hook that will bring the wheel format
up to the point of being a near-total replacement for "./setup.py
install", and even that isn't written up formally yet - it's just a
post in a thread on distutils-sig).

You could, as Daniel suggested, work on defining a PEP 426 extension
as a prototype concept, but it won't help you much until PEP 426
support is widespread, and by then we'll probably be looking at the
meta-build system more broadly and figuring out the full set of
desired hooks (including test invocation).

Regards,
Nick.