[Python-Dev] PEP 445 delegate

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 14:40:30 CEST 2013

Hi,

2013/6/21 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> I've been appointed PEP 445 delegate by Nick and Guido. I would like to
> know if there are still pending changes to the PEP. If not, I expect to
> give it a review in the coming days or weeks, and then make a final
> pronouncement (which will probably be positive anyway).

As you asked on IRC, I added a section to the PEP 445 explaining in
detail the redesign of debug checks on memory allocators:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0445/#redesign-debug-checks-on-memory-allocators-as-hooks

The section show also how "hooks" work in the simple "call traces"
example. Hooks are just inserted between the public function (ex:
PyMem_Malloc) and the inner allocator function (ex:
_PyMem_RawMalloc()).

Minor nit: in practice, there is only one "debug hook" (reused on 3
allocators), so we may drop the trailing "s" from the name
"PyMem_SetupDebugHooks".

Diff on pep-0445.txt:
http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/c6199202522a

Victor