[Python-Dev] backported Enum

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jun 16 04:45:58 CEST 2013

Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> writes:

> So I have the stdlb 3.4 Enum backported for both earlier 3.x and back
> to 2.4 in the 2.x series.
>
> I would like to put this on PyPI, but the `enum` name is already
> taken.

I have for a long time approved of ‘flufl.enum’ becoming the One Obvious
Way to do enumerations, and am glad to see PEP 435 bring it into the
standard library.

<URL:http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2011-July/010811.html>

There are some people still contacting me about their use of the ‘enum’
package on PyPI, so I think that to just replace it with a different
code base under the same name would not be helpful.

> Would it be inappropriate to call it `stdlib.enum`?

That sounds good to me.

Is there anything I can do to keep the ‘enum’ package online for
continuity but make it clear, to automated tools, that this is
end-of-life and obsoleted by another package?

--
 \       “Free thought is a necessary, but not a sufficient, condition |
  `\                                       for democracy.” —Carl Sagan |