[Python-Dev] cpython: Issue #3329: Add new APIs to customize memory allocators

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 02:25:16 CEST 2013

2013/6/15 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>:
> The only reason for the small object allocator to exist is because
> operating system allocators generally aren't optimised for frequent
> allocation and deallocation of small objects. You can gain a *lot* of
> speed from handling those inside the application. As the allocations
> grow in size, though, the application level allocator just becomes
> useless overhead, so it's better to delegate those operations directly
> to the OS.

Why not using PyObject_Malloc() for all allocations? PyObject_Malloc()
fallbacks to malloc() if the size is larger than a threshold (512
bytes in Python 3.4).

Are PyObject_Realloc() and PyObject_Free() more expensive than
realloc() and free() (when the memory was allocated by malloc)?

> The only question mark in my mind is over the GIL-free raw allocation
> APIs. I think it makes sense to at least conditionally define those as
> macros so an embedding application can redirect *just* the allocations
> made by the CPython runtime (rather than having to redefine
> malloc/realloc/free when building Python), but I don't believe the
> case has been adequately made for making the raw APIs configurable at
> runtime. Dropping that aspect would at least eliminate the
> PyMem_(Get|Set)RawAllocators() APIs.

PyMem_SetRawAllocators() is required for the two use cases: use a
custom memory allocator (embedded device and Python embedded in an
application) and setup an hook for debug purpose.

Without PyMem_SetRawAllocators(), allocations made by
PyMem_RawMalloc() would go to the same place than the rest of the
"Python memory", nor seen by debug tools. It becomes worse with large
allocations kept for a long time.

Victor