[Python-Dev] Doubly linked lists in Python core?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jun 11 21:10:41 CEST 2013

I encountered this disconcerting message yesterday on a Linux system
running Python 2.7.2:

*** glibc detected *** /opt/local/bin/python: corrupted double-linked
list: 0x0000000003b01c90 ***

Of course, no core file or other information about where the problem
occurred was left behind, just the raw pointer value.  Running under
valgrind didn't report anything obvious, at least nothing different
than a run with slightly different command line parameters which
didn't elicit the message.

I suspect the problem actually lies in one of our C++ libraries here
at work, but before I attempt any debugging gymnastics (ow! my back
hurts) I thought I would check to see if Python makes much use of
double linked lists in a non-debug build.  I don't recall a lot from
days of yore, perhaps some in the dict implementation?

Thanks,

Skip