[Python-Dev] Refactoring test.support into a subpackage

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 12:20:46 CEST 2013

On 15 July 2013 20:22, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the PyCon AU sprints, some of the sprinters worked on a plan Chris
> Jerdonek and I came up with months ago to convert test.support from a
> module into a subpackage.
>
> This plan arose from some nasty test suite hacks in the lead up to the
> release of Python 3.3, where some of the pkgutil tests ended up in
> test.test_runpy so they could use the package creation infrastructure
> I have in there without needing to extract a helper module with a
> release imminent.
>
> The scope of the plan covers a few distinct steps:
>
> 1. Move Lib/test/support.py to Lib/test/support/__init__.py
> (http://bugs.python.org/issue15494)
> 2. Add a new (documented) test.support.pkg_helper submodule with the
> package creation support code (http://bugs.python.org/issue15403 and
> http://bugs.python.org/issue15376)
> 3. Move the pkgutil tests to test.test_pkgutil where they belong
> (http://bugs.python.org/issue15358)

Just a heads up that I'm working on these first three steps this
evening, so the Lib/test/support.py -> Lib/test/support/__init__.py
move will happen shortly.

I'll also be landing the patch to add test.support.temp_dir() and
test.support.change_cwd()

This shouldn't affect any other patches, unless they're adding or
change things in test.support.

Cheers,
Nick.