[Python-Dev] Inherance of file descriptor and handles on Windows (PEP 446)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jul 25 02:41:22 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>> > What do you call "daemon"? An actual Unix-like daemon?
>>
>> Yeah, a background process with parent PID 1 and not associated with
>> any terminal group.
>
> But is that relevant to the PEP? A daemon only uses fork(), not exec().
> Or have I misunderstood your concern?

Actually it's common for "daemonization" libraries to run an arbitrary
executable as a daemon, and then it would be relevant. E.g. zdaemon
(https://pypi.python.org/pypi/zdaemon) does this. (Disclosure: I wrote
the first version of zdaemon when I worked for Zope Corp over a decade
ago. :-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)