[Python-Dev] BDFL delegation for PEP 426 + distutils freeze

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed Feb 6 21:45:18 CET 2013

Le 06/02/2013 05:03, Chris Jerdonek a écrit :
> I asked this earlier, but didn't see a response.  Is the freeze
> stated somewhere like in a PEP?

It’s part in notes from the PyCon 2010 Language Summit, part in
unwritten policy in the heads of people involved in distutils bugs these
last years.

> If not, can someone state it precisely (e.g.
> what's allowed to change and what's not)?

Bug fixes are possible; changes to keep working with Python (i.e. pyc
files are generated in pycache directories after 3.2); changes to be
able to build on current OSes (e.g. following Mac dev tools location
change, introduction of Debian multiarch, etc.).

Some bugs have been here for so long that everybody depends on them or
work around them, or they would be extremely painful to fix (e.g. in the
option parsing code) for little benefit, so they are wontfix.

Cleanups, refactorings and improvements were banned by the feature freeze.

Regards