[Python-Dev] BDFL delegation for PEP 426 (PyPI metadata 1.3)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 23:24:57 CET 2013

Éric Araujo <merwok <at> netwok.org> writes:

> Looks like we agree that a basic tool able to bootstrap the packaging
> story is needed :)

Agreed. Just because distutils can't easily/reliably build things that are
better built with SCons/WAF/tup/whatever, doesn't mean that we shouldn't have
the ability to build pure-Python distributions and distributions including C
libs and extensions, with the ability to extend easily by third-party tools. It
just needs to be done in a way which is easy to build on, so the included
battery stays small and simple. Easier said than done, I know :-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip