[Python-Dev] BDFL delegation for PEP 426 (PyPI metadata 1.3)

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 19:57:39 CET 2013

My position is that these days distutils doesn't belong in the standard
library any more than Django does. So I am mildly opposed to supporting it
when you should be using better designed third party tools like Bento or
setuptools. Wheel makes it possible for Python to get out of the build tool
business. Just install your preferred tools with a concise bootstrap
installer.
On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 09:41:29 -0500
Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> The neat thing about wheel is that you can install them without having the
> software used to build them. So we might try to provide a very simple
wheel
> installer script with Python that did not even depend on DistUtils. You
> would be able to install pip etc with that tool. There is no need to put
> wheel directly into DistUtils.

But you still need to *produce* wheels, don't you? It would be more
useful for everyone if that facility was bundled with Python.

Regards

Antoine.
Unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/dholth%40gmail.com