[Python-Dev] Deprecating the formatter module

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 16:35:52 CEST 2013

On 13 Aug 2013 09:39, "Brett Cannon" <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> 12.08.13 22:22, Brett Cannon написав(ла):
>>
>>> I have created http://bugs.python.org/issue18716 to deprecate the
>>> formatter module for removal in Python 3.6 unless someone convinces me
>>> otherwise that deprecation and removal is the wrong move.
>>

>> The formatter module doesn't look such buggy as the audioop module. If
the formatter module was not removed in Python 3.0 I don't see why it can't
wait to 4.0.

> It doesn't help that at PyCon CA we couldn't find a single person who had
heard of the module (which included people like Alex Gaynor and Larry
Hastings).

> I'm definitely deprecating it, but we can discuss postponing deletion.

Unless something is a serious bug magnet or is causing us maintenance
hassles, we shouldn't remove it. Neither applies here, so an indefinite
PendingDeprecation makes the most sense to me.

Cheers,
Nick.

http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com