[Python-Dev] The Return Of Argument Clinic

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Mon Aug 5 19:41:57 CEST 2013

On 8/5/2013 1:48 AM, Larry Hastings wrote:

> The impl should know whether or not it failed.  So it's the
> interface we're defining that forces it to throw away that
> information.  If we provided a way for it to return that
> information, we could shave off some cycles.  The problem
> is, how do we do that in a way that doesn't suck?
> Can we live with PyErr_Occurred() here?

Isn't there another option? To have the impl call a special "failed"
clinic API, prior to returning failure? And if that wasn't called, then
the return is success. Or does that require the same level of overhead
as PyErr_Occurred?

Reducing the chances of PyErr_Occurred per Armin's suggestion seems good
if the above is not an improvement.