[Python-Dev] PEP 8 modernisation

LD 'Gus' Landis ldlandis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 16:43:03 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On 01/08/13 22:44, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>  4. Lines up to 99 characters are now permitted (but 79 is still the
>> preferred limit)
>>

> Coincidentally, there was a discussion about line length on python-list
> over the last couple of days. I think the two most relevant comments are by
> Skip Montanaro:
>
> http://mail.python.org/**pipermail/python-list/2013-**July/652977.html<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-July/652977.html>
> http://mail.python.org/**pipermail/python-list/2013-**July/653046.html<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-July/653046.html>

I believe there may be a relationship to the 7 plus or minus 2 (times 10)
of human conceptual limits.

Personally I find it very difficult to read text with long lines.

Historically two or three column (newspaper/book) with a barrier margin
was used to get much more text on the page, but still the reader had much
shorter "chunks" to absorb.

> If I may be permitted to paraphrase:
>
> - publishers and printers have been dealing with readability of text for
> an awfully long time, and they pretty much all use a de facto standard of
> 70-80 characters per line;
>
> - most lines of code are short, stretching the max out to 100 characters
> when most lines are around 60 just ends up wasting screen real estate if
> your editor window is wide enough to deal with the max.
>
> To that last point, I add: it's even worse if you keep the editor
> relatively narrow, since now you have a few lines that require horizontal
> scrolling, which is awful, or line-wrapping, neither of which are palatable.
>

> --
> Steven

---
NOTE: If it is important CALL ME - I may miss email,
which I do NOT normally check on weekends nor on
a regular basis during any other day.
---
LD Landis - N0YRQ - de la tierra del encanto
3960 Schooner Loop, Las Cruces, NM 88012
651-340-4007  N32 21'48.28" W106 46'5.80"