[Python-Dev] packaging location ?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 12 21:21:45 CEST 2012

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:02:42 -0400
Éric Araujo <eric at netwok.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lib/packaging is in the repository history, and in my backup clones, but
> it’s not visible in any branch head as we have no branch for 3.4 yet.  I
> can bring the directory back with a simple Mercurial command.
>
> However, it’s not clear to me that we want to do that.  At the inception
> of the project, we wanted a new distutils with support for the latest
> PEPs and improved extensibility.  Then we found a number of problems in
> the PEPs; the last time I pointed the problems out I got no reply but
> “find a PEP dictator and propose changes”.  And when I started the
> thread about removing packaging in 3.3, hundreds of replies discussed
> changing the whole distutils architecture, splitting the project,
> exploring new systems, etc., which is why I’m not sure that we can just
> bring back packaging in 3.4 as it was and continue with our previous
> roadmap.

People who want a whole new distutils architecture can start distutils3
(or repackaging) if they want. If I have to give my advice, I would
favour re-integrating packaging in the stdlib or, better, integrating
all changes, one by one, into distutils itself.

Regards

Antoine.

--
Software development and contracting: http://pro.pitrou.net