[Python-Dev] cpython: Build the _sha3 module with VS 2008.

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sun Oct 21 21:52:01 CEST 2012

Am 21.10.2012 21:27, schrieb "Martin v. Löwis":
> It's a packaging and maintenance issue. If it is in pythonxy.dll, the
> project file becomes easier to maintain. That's why I was always opposed
> to splitting up the existing pythonxy.dll into many project files.
>
> OTOH, when adding a module, a decision can be made based on size (e.g.);
> if the module depends on extra libraries, it shouldn't be in
> pythonxy.dll.
>
> For VS 2008, I don't care - this set of project files isn't really
> intended for production use, but rather for ongoing development.
>
> In the long term, I wish we could use the platform implementations
> of SHA-3 rather than shipping our own.

Hello Martin,

Ultimately it's your decision. You are the expert and build master for
Windows releases. I've no hard feelings if you prefer to include the
code in the main dll. Just say so and I will change the module ASAP.

The sha3 module depends on the Keccak reference implementation. I guess
the loop unrolling and massive usage of macros in the optimized
implementation increases the size of the code considerable. I didn't
want to increase the main python.dll from 2.7 MB to almost 3 MB.

We may have to ship our own SHA-3 code for quite a while. OpenSSL hasn't
even began to include SHA-3. The bugs.python.org entry about Keccak is
still the number one hit of a Google search about "openssl keccak".

Christian