[Python-Dev] Benchmarking Python 3.3 against Python 2.7 (wide build)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Oct 1 03:40:47 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Alexandre Vassalotti <alexandre at peadrop.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
>> I accidentally left out the telco benchmark, which is bad since cdecimal
>> makes it just scream on Python 3.3 (and I verified with Python 3.2 that
>> this is an actual speedup and not some silly screw-up like I initially had
>> with spectral_norm):
>

> You could also make the pickle benchmark use the C accelerator module by
> passing the --use_cpickle flag. The Python 3 version should be a lot faster.

perf.py already uses --use_cpickle:

Running fastpickle...
INFO:root:Running ../cpython/builds/3.3/bin/python3.3
performance/bm_pickle.py -n 5 --use_cpickle pickle
INFO:root:Running ../cpython/builds/2.7-wide/bin/python
performance/bm_pickle.py -n 5 --use_cpickle pickle

One thing that might make a change is using -1 for the protocol instead of
2, but that means losing the perk of perf.py doing all of the calculations,
etc.