[Python-Dev] Summary of Python tracker Issues

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Nov 30 22:07:47 CET 2012

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:38:12 -0500, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Do we have a graph of the historical trend of the number of bugs (or at
> least the historical details stored somewhere)? I think we have had a net

Not really.  Ezio made one by hand once, but there is nothing automated.

The historical details are stored only in the mailing list archives, as
far as I know.  In theory I think you could re-calculate them from the
Roundup DB, but for various reasons the numbers would probably come out
slightly different.  Still, getting the data from the DB would be better
than parsing the emails, since for one reason and another there are
missing Friday reports, and reports that were issued on non-Friday
dates.

> decrease in open bugs the last couple of weeks and it would be neat to see
> an absolute and relative graph of the overall trend since Python 3.3.0 was
> released. Also might make a nice motivator to try to close issues faster. =)
>
> Otherwise is the code public for this somewhere? I assume it's making an

Yes.  It is in the software repository for our roundup instances:

    http://hg.python.org/tracker/python-dev/file/default/scripts/roundup-summary

(Be warned that that isn't the location from which the script is
executed, so it is possible for what is actually running to get out of
sync with what is checked in at that location.)

> XML-RPC call or something every week to get the results, but if I decide to

Nope, it talks directly to the DB.  And as you will see, it is more
than a bit gnarly.

> do a little App Engine app to store historical data and do a graph I would
> rather not have to figure all of this out from scratch. =) Although I could
> I guess also parse the email if I wanted to ignore all other emails.

I'm not sure how one would go about integrating the above with an App
Engine app.  I suspect that not quite enough information is available
through the XML-RPC interface to replicate that script, but maybe you
could manage just the open-close counting part of it.  I haven't
looked at what it would take.

--David