[Python-Dev] VS 11 Express is Metro only.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 30 21:43:42 CEST 2012

>     I hereby predict that Microsoft will revert this decision, and that
>     VS Express
>     11 will be able to build CPython.
>
> But will it be able to target Windows XP?

I'll still need to try. I couldn't easily find a Windows XP installation
to try out whether a hello world application runs on XP.

Please understand that Visual Studio never had the notion of
"targetting" an operating system. The Windows SDK has that notion,
and it appears that targetting XP continues to be supported. Visual
Studio C/C++ only targets Debug vs. Release, and Win32 vs. IA-64 vs.
x64 (leaving CE/Windows Mobile/WP7 aside).

The only place where platform support matters is the CRT, and this is
what I still want to test. E.g. it might be that the C RT works on XP,
and the C++ RT might use newer API.

Regards,
Martin