[Python-Dev] docs.python.org pointing to Python 3 by default?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 21 18:18:16 CEST 2012

On 5/21/2012 7:42 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 11:09 AM, Łukasz Langa wrote:
>> Wiadomość napisana przez Nick Coghlan w dniu 21 maj 2012, o godz. 09:24:
>>
>>> The following
>>> would be using docs.python.org as a namespace (and is what I think we
>>> should move towards):
>>>
>>> docs.python.org/latest
>>> docs.python.org/dev
>>> docs.python.org/3.2
>>> docs.python.org/3.1
>>> docs.python.org/2.7
>>> docs.python.org/2.6
>>
>> Love it. +1
>
> Apart from the "latest" one, all these URLs already work.
>
> Of course, /2.7 is redirected to /, and /3.3 to /dev, etc.
> If required, the direction of these redirects can be changed, so
> that e.g. / goes to /2.7.
>
> What about:
>
> * Canonical:
>
> docs.python.org/2/
> docs.python.org/3/

If you prefer these to docs2, docs3, OK with me.
Whatever we do, we should encourage book/blog writers to use the
canonical 'latest' links that will not go out of date. So there should
definitely be one for each, with the same format. The exact format is
less important.

> for latest versions of 2.x and 3.x
>
> docs.python.org/2.7/ etc.
>
> for latest minor versions
>
> docs.python.org/dev/
>
> for latest dev version.
>
> * Redirected:
>
> docs.python.org/  -->   either /2/ or /3/ or a "disambiguation page"

While I am a strong partisan of Py 3, I do not want Py 2 users to feel
'pushed', so I vote for a neutral index or 'disambiguation' page.

What I would do is set up the canonical pages now. Next, add a notice to
the top of docs.python.org that it will become a neutral index page with
the release of 3.3, so 'please change bookmarks to the new, permanent
page for Py 2', whatever it is.

> docs.python.org/py3k/ ->  /3/

> There is also /release/X.Y.Z for individual released versions, which
> I don't want to change.

I would leave those alone too.

--
Terry Jan Reedy