[Python-Dev] Playing with a new theme for the docs

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 22 18:02:43 CET 2012

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
>> There are bad designers, or more to the point, designers who favor the
>> overall look of the page at the expense of the utility of the page.  That
>> doesn't mean all designers are bad, or that "design" is bad.  Don't throw
>> out the baby with the bathwater.
>
> I get that.  I'm not bad-mouthing actual design, and there are definitely
> good designers out there.
>
> It's unfortunate they're so seriously outnumbered.

As they say, the 99% who are lousy designers give the rest a bad name.

*wink*

My first impression of this page:

http://www.python.org/~gbrandl/build/html/index.html

was that the grey side-bar gives the page a somber, perhaps even dreary, look.
First impressions count, and I'm afraid that first look didn't work for me.

But clicking through onto other pages with more text improved my feelings. A
big +1 on the pale green shading of code blocks.

The basic design seems good to me. I'd prefer a serif font for blocks of text,
while keeping sans serif for the headings, but that's a mild preference.

Looking forward to seeing the next iteration.

--
Steven