[Python-Dev] Python install layout and the PATH on win32

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 20 16:52:44 CET 2012

> In hearing from a couple people who teach python to beginners, this is a
> substantial hurdle - the first thing they need to do is to edit their
> environment to add these directories to the PATH.

This is something I never understood. On Windows, it's custom to launch
programs from the start menu, and Python is easy enough to find on the
start menu (e.g. by typing "Python"). Why do people want to launch it by
opening a shell window, then typing python?

In any case, I have given up my resistance to the feature request for
automatic path fiddling several years ago, and was since waiting for
a contribution of a patch that makes it happen.

Regards,
Martin