[Python-Dev] PEP 405 (built-in virtualenv) status

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Thu Mar 15 22:43:20 CET 2012

A brief status update on PEP 405 (built-in virtualenv) and the open issues:

1. As mentioned in the updated version of the language summit notes,
Nick Coghlan has agreed to pronounce on the PEP.

2. Ned Deily discovered at the PyCon sprints that the current reference
implementation does not work with an OS X framework build of Python.
We're still working to discover the reason for that and determine
possible fixes.

3. If anyone knows of a pair of packages in which both need to build
compiled extensions, and the compilation of the second depends on header
files from the first, that would be helpful to me in testing the other
open issue (installation of header files). (I thought numpy and scipy
might fit this bill, but I'm currently not able to install numpy at all
under Python 3 using pysetup, easy_install, or pip.)

Thanks,

Carl