[Python-Dev] PEP 414

Armin Ronacher armin.ronacher at active-4.com
Thu Mar 1 22:12:48 CET 2012

Hi,

On 2/29/12 12:30 PM, Yury Selivanov wrote:
> I see you've (or somebody) changed:
Yes, I reworded that.

> Could you just remove the statement completely?
I will let Nick handle the PEP wording.

> I don't think that PEPs are the right place to put such polemic
> and biased statements.
Why call it polemic?  If you want to use ubuntu LTS you're forcing
yourself to stick to a particular Python version for a longer time.
Which means you don't want to have to adjust your code.  Which again
means that you're better of with the Python 2.x ecosystem which is
proven, does not change nearly as quickly as the Python 3 one
(hopefully) so if you have the choice between those two you would chose
2.x over 3.x.  That's what this sentence is supposed to say.  That's not
polemic, that's just a fact.

> Nobody asked you to express your *personal* feelings and thoughts
> about applicability or state of python3 in the PEP.
That is not a personal-feeling-PEP.  If people would be 100% happy with
Python 3 we would not have these discussions, would we.

Why is it that I'm getting "attacked" on this mailinglist for writing
this PEP, or the wording etc.

Regards,
Armin